Thursday, February 14, 2008

How conspiracy theories are born

Dateline: Houston, Texas

Approximately 1:05 pm, February 14

Office phone rings. My phone is 713-4xx-xxxx... this is important.

It's a recording. Male voice says, this is a short 4 question political survey done on behalf of the American Research Group (a legit polling company, by the way).

Press (1) for Democratic Primary, (2) for Republican Primary. [1]

First Question: Hillary Clinton: (1) only person you'd vote for (2) preferred candidate, (3) acceptable but not preferred, (4) haven't heard of her, ... [3]

Second Question: Barack Obama: (1) only person you'd vote for (2) preferred candidate, (3) acceptable but not preferred, ... [2]

Third Question: Are you definitely planning to vote in the Primary on February 12? Press...

then the phone cuts out.

Now.

First of all, it is 100% possible the phone just cut off. We use wireless phones and they can be spotty. Now I've never had a line drop out during a call, but there was interference I could hear. So I'm willing to accept that the poll just happened to abort after I selected my preferred candidate.

But.

It cut off right on the words "February 12". Leaving them lingering in my mind.

Because the Texas primary is March 4.

Two coincidences?

Actually, it probably is. If you wanted to turn off someone's voters, you'd tell them the primary was *later* than it is, because believe me everyone will hear about the primary over the next 3 weeks. And there were elections in Virginia on Feb 12, and we have offices in Virginia, and though a Texas number was called...

See, it doesn't make sense either way. But, I tell you, that's how conspiracy theories are born.

And if anyone knows the phone # or email for American Research Group, I'd love to hear it.

[Edit #1: Found the number and left them a message.]

[Edit #2: Got a call from American Research Group. Their mistake, poll was being worked on and wasn't supposed to be running yet. They apologized and said it was fixed, thanks to my call. Totally true story. And why, perhaps, I'm not a conspiracy theorist at heart.]

[Edit #3: and the results]

1 comment:

perrykat said...

Interesting...and my personality tends to think the worst.

At least you're in the loop. I never get any political phone calls.

I did see James Tobin on The Daily Show. He discussed his conviction for phone jamming. He basically says that everyone does these type of things.